Unified all-in-one packages for end users

Discuss creation of synfig packages and other packaging issues
KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Unified all-in-one packages for end users

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi everyone!

Looking at the package wide variety of packages at http://synfig.org/Download, watching all the problems with updating packages to new distributive releases, building my own packages for Fedora 7 and 10, I finally asked myself "Is this a right way to go?"

Everytime I build a package of new (svn) version of synfig I need to build it 4 times - in Fedora 7 i386, Fedora 7 x86_64, Fedora 10 i386 and finally Fedora 10 x86_64! There is a lot packages at the Download page and still most newcomers forced to build synfig from sources.

The answer looks simple - let the distribution vendors to produce packages. But currently we aren't supported by them that much (Fedora refuses to include synfig in their repositories, Ubuntu lags with updates).

Other problem: I want to provide users a way to easily install some particular version of synfig. Yes, yes, easy. Without connecting additional (unofficial) repositories, without fiddling with dependencies. Just click-and-install. That's a critical point for driving collaborative project - provide solid environment. I personally don't want to depend on linux distributions packages - they use stable versions and don't update as often as we. Oppositely we update relatively often to test new features and recieve benefits from recently fixed bugs.

That's why I made an attempt to develop some kind of 'unified' package. Such package should comply following requirements:
- Distribution-independence (rpm-package should be suitable for any modern rpm-based distro, same for deb-package)
- All in single package (installation with one click, synfig and synfigstudio included)
- End-user orientation (no devel stuff)
- Minimum dependencies (only rely on components which most systems have installed already)

That's what I've got:

Packages for Debian-based distributives:
Packages for rpm-based distributives:

I need help in testing those packages. Please try to install those packages on your distribution and report issues you encounter.

I've tested them on Fedora and Ubuntu only:
* i386 build tested on: Ubuntu 8.10 (i386), Fedora 7 (i386), Fedora 7 (x86_64), Fedora 10 (x86_64).
* x86_64 build tested on: Ubuntu 7.04 (x86_64), Fedora 7 (x86_64), Fedora 10 (x86_64).

It will be nice if you make tests on those and other distros.
Cheers!

Advertisement

Genete
Site Admin

Re: Unified all-in-one packages for end users

Postby Genete » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:18 pm

I see only one problem: the architecture.
Also don't rely on vendors packaging gives the additional problem of make the package available to all flavors of linux distributions. So the package gets like a minimum of the features (mainly the import and export ones). It is fine though, because exporting a png sequence is enough for most of the users.

Nothing to test here as well as I use Ubuntu 8.10 and it has been tested by you. Anyway, where does it install the binaries? in usr local, custom folder, usr/bin?. I ask that before try it becasue I don't want to overwrite my last build. I use usr/local.

-G
Synfig needs your help!
Developers, packagers, bug testers, translators, artists, web developers, wiki writers... you can contribute! :D

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Genete wrote:I see only one problem: the architecture.

Yes, I building synfig package twice - x86_64 and i386. But that's easier than to make separate build for each distribution version. And I have a build script: synfigstudio-build.sh.
And yes, It seems Ubuntu (x86_64) unable to run i386 deb package, only x86_64 (luck of i386-compatible libraries).

Genete wrote:Also don't rely on vendors packaging gives the additional problem of make the package available to all flavors of linux distributions. So the package gets like a minimum of the features (mainly the import and export ones). It is fine though, because exporting a png sequence is enough for most of the users.

- ffmpeg export should be available if ffmpeg installed
- imagemagick export should work if it's package installed too
- openEXR, lavcodec and magick++ are disabled for now, but I could build with them later
- all the rest should work

Genete wrote:Nothing to test here as well as I use Ubuntu 8.10 and it has been tested by you. Anyway, where does it install the binaries? in usr local, custom folder, usr/bin?. I ask that before try it becasue I don't want to overwrite my last build. I use usr/local.

- binaries are go to /usr/bin/
- most shared data stored in /opt/synfig
- some data (like .desktop file) is stored in /usr/share/... to provide desktop integration.
It will be nice if you will find time to test package on your Ubuntu 8.10 installation, cause there is not enough proof if a package tested only by single person (me).

pabs
Site Admin

Postby pabs » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Some things:

autopackage, 0install or another distro-independent package format should probably be used rather than deb/rpm.

For the libraries that are included in the package, you'll need to track security issues for them and provide automatic updates.

Using /opt in combination with /usr isn't really a good idea, best just use /opt. 0install/autopackage would solve this anyway.

The architecture thing; what about PowerPC users?
bye, pabs

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:03 am

pabs wrote:autopackage, 0install or another distro-independent package format should probably be used rather than deb/rpm.

0install requires 0client to install package - that's additional dependency.
Synfig is not suitable for autopackage, cause its not relocatable. See http://autopackage.org/developer-quickstart.html

pabs wrote:For the libraries that are included in the package, you'll need to track security issues for them and provide automatic updates.

Ok, I'll take that into account. For now - yep, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
No automatic updates. User install package just downloading and clicking on it. If newer package installed then it replaces older.

pabs wrote:Using /opt in combination with /usr isn't really a good idea, best just use /opt. 0install/autopackage would solve this anyway.

Yes, don't like it too. But I don't know how to make linux distribution handle *.desktop file located in /opt. We want SynfigStudio menu entry, aren't we? ;)
Other solution is to place synfig-related libs in /usr/lib/synfig and data to /usr/share. But not sure about that.

pabs wrote:The architecture thing; what about PowerPC users?

Have no Mac's around. Is there any way to build ppc package on i386/x86_64 machine?

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 am

Current research task is to figure out how many various distributions could install/run those packages. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Mandriva, Suse, others?

rore
Site Admin

Postby rore » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:38 pm

The synfigstudio_0.61.09-2316.morevnapackage.1_i386.deb one installed fine on my father's computer. (running debian stable on a 32b arch)
But now all I have is a "Floating point exception" message when I try to start synfig or synfigstudio.
Well, I suppose I may have to install gdb or something like that too... :)

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:53 am

rore:
Thanks for report! Which version of Debian?

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 pm

i386 rpm package tested on Mandriva 2009.0 Free, i686, SMP, kernel-desktop 2.6.27.7
No problems with installation/running.

Genete
Site Admin

Postby Genete » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:07 am

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Kernel: 2.6.27-9-generic
GNOME: 2.24.1

Not previously installed the official package.
I have a compiled version of synfigstudio in usr/local/bin.

Installed your package (x86_64) using gdebi.It complained about there is an official package in the repository.
Running /usr/bin/synfigstudio goes well. I didn't notice anything wrong.
-G
Synfig needs your help!
Developers, packagers, bug testers, translators, artists, web developers, wiki writers... you can contribute! :D

Genete
Site Admin

Postby Genete » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:57 pm

One question: Are the builds optimized for speed? Which settings did you used? Thanks.
-G
Synfig needs your help!

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 am

Genete: no optimizations. just

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=${PREFIX}/ --includedir=${PREFIX}/include --disable-static --enable-shared

See synfigstudio-build.sh.

super animator

Postby super animator » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Hey what about windows? It needs a better build method.

pixelgeek
Site Admin

Postby pixelgeek » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:51 pm

^^ Can't argue with that! ;)

Chris

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:12 am

SVN2354 build.
ImageMagick++ render target support is now integrated into package.
Testers are welcome.

Packages for Debian-based distributives:
Packages for rpm-based distributives:

Return to “Packaging”