HOW TO fix a not well formed document

General questions and answers about using Synfig. We encourage you to document your findings in the FAQ and Tips pages on the website.
Genete
Site Admin

HOW TO fix a not well formed document

Postby Genete » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:54 am

Svarov wrote:Good to know you had a backup. If something like this happens again you can try to fix it manually with the following instructions:
1. SIFZ format is just a zipped XML file, so rename the file to .zip.
2. Extract it.
3. You'll see a file without extension, open it with any XML editor.
4. Find a problem line (Synfig will tell you the line number).
5. Fix the problem. Usually, it isn't hard, because XML is pretty human-readable so look for some trash in values, extremely big/low parameters, messed tags, etc.
6. Save file and rename it to .sif.
7. Open with Synfig and if everything is OK save it back as .sifz.

-G
Synfig needs your help!
Developers, packagers, bug testers, translators, artists, web developers, wiki writers... you can contribute! :D

Advertisement

d.j.a.y
Site Admin

Re: HOW TO fix a not well formed document

Postby d.j.a.y » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:14 am

If that solved, please edit initial title adding [SOLVED]

Code: Select all

for each doc in [wiki] ;; if not doc.lang.your ;; then translate(doc, lang.your) ;;

-< Synfig documentation Getting started >-

brianc1327

Postby brianc1327 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Just wondering a few things:

Renaming the file and unzipping it is easy enough.

Libreoffice can edit XML files, or at least XML is one of the options given when "file->open" is selected.

However, I don't know if the errors are stored somewhere in a text file or whatever, in my case I can't seem to find any such, and in my case there were probaly over 50 errors (they filled up the page, and it looked like there were more).

Without some type of manual, I would have not real idea how to fix the errors. I don't think something vague like "look for values that are really high or really low" helps anyone very much.

Brian Christiansen.

d.j.a.y
Site Admin

Postby d.j.a.y » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:33 am

brianc1327 wrote:Libreoffice can edit XML files, or at least XML is one of the options given when "file->open" is selected.
A better choice is to open the xml file in some text editor with Syntax highlighting capacities (see also Comparison of text editors)

brianc1327 wrote:Without some type of manual, I would have not real idea how to fix the errors
The error message should (from the message box or from the console) indicate a line number / value name (value node), or something similar ... is'nt it ? Collaboratively, why can write this tutorial ... ;-) (for example i have filled upper info to How Do I / fix a not well formed document)
If that solved, please edit initial title adding [SOLVED]

Code: Select all

for each doc in [wiki] ;; if not doc.lang.your ;; then translate(doc, lang.your) ;;

-< Synfig documentation Getting started >-

Return to “Synfig related help”