Pixel mapping from imported image to Synfig canvas

General questions and answers about using Synfig. We encourage you to document your findings in the FAQ and Tips pages on the website.
DragonHorse

Pixel mapping from imported image to Synfig canvas

Postby DragonHorse » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if you can advise on the mapping of the size of an imported (png) image and the canvas size?

If I have a canvas of 64 x 64

I then import an image that is 256 x 64

I would like to scale that image down so that it fits proportionally in the canvas, so 64 x 16 (so it fits the width of the canvas and 1/4 of the height).

On initial import, the default scale for the image is (9.86075, 9.86075) and it looks to be correctly proportioned (i.e. visually it looks like it's proportions are 4:1). The image immediately on import takes between 1/2 and 2/3 of the canvas width. I can scale it visually using the handles and get something that is pretty much correct, but it would be nice if I could explicitly set the width and height in pixels that I want the image to be scaled to.

I suspect this is quite easy but I'm missing something and none of my searches have yielded an answer.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

bazza

Re: Pixel mapping from imported image to Synfig canvas

Postby bazza » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Code: Select all

convert -crop 64 image.png frames.png

And matter the frames by separately

convert is part of imagemagick

DragonHorse

Re: Pixel mapping from imported image to Synfig canvas

Postby DragonHorse » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks Bazza, I see how that would work, I was just wondering if there was any way to do it without actually creating new copies of the files.

I have the original .svg that the image was created from so I could just export as PNG in a lower resolution to start with; I was just trying to figure out if I could do what I wanted with one set of PNGs (the aim is to create the same animation in different resolutions targeting different devices).

Return to “Synfig related help”