linear speed, but curved motion: difficulty adjusting TCB interpolation to follow an arc

General questions and answers about using Synfig. We encourage you to document your findings in the FAQ and Tips pages on the website.
cameralibre

linear speed, but curved motion: difficulty adjusting TCB interpolation to follow an arc

Postby cameralibre » Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 am

Ever since I began working with Synfig, I have been confused by waypoint interpolation, and I often find that settings which I think will give me a smooth arc instead cause a slow-fast-slow-fast movement, or my animations follow unexpected curves.
Maybe somebody can help me wrap my head around this using an example project (see attached).
smooth-motion.sifz
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Note: I know that this can be achieved by following a spline, but this is to help me understand movement with waypoint interpolation, so that is how I would like to do it. I have read the documentation on interpolation and I am still very confused.

Essentially what I would like is linear speed but a curved shape, between waypoint 1 and waypoint 4, following the blue line. I have tried editing the TCB settings and improved on the original default settings, but both attempts are still way off.
Often when I try to do this it ends up creating an obvious 'corner' at waypoints 2 and 3. I don't want the circle to slow down at all as it passes them, I essentially want waypoints 2 & 3 to be invisible to the viewer. It seems like reducing the Tension setting improves this aspect, but I can't get it to a constant linear speed.

Do I need to include extra waypoints either side of these (i.e. waypoint 0 and waypoint 5) in order to achieve the curve that I want?
Any other suggestions for more reliable/more accurate use of waypoint interpolation?

Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything

Svarov

Re: linear speed, but curved motion: difficulty adjusting TCB interpolation to follow an arc

Postby Svarov » Wed May 31, 2017 2:18 am

TCB interpolation is a mystery to me. I tried to use it sometimes but its overshooting can't be easily controlled. I always thought TCB can be represented as a curve similar to two-vertex outline, so if you hit 'Edit TCB' you'd see a standard handles of a curve, but I can be totally mistaken.

Anyway, I am interested in this topic too. It would be nice to see some practical examples in which TCB interpolation is useful with a detailed explanation.

Now working on: Wolf's head turn (test 7)

cameralibre

Re: linear speed, but curved motion: difficulty adjusting TCB interpolation to follow an arc

Postby cameralibre » Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Yeah, I find it really frustrating too. It seems like such a basic element of animation, yet in Synfig, I am really stuck on it.

Do you have any other non-TCB tricks to get smooth arc movement as I described (other than following a spline)?

Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything

Svarov

Postby Svarov » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:58 am

Now working on: Wolf's head turn (test 7)

cameralibre

Postby cameralibre » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on this, hmm, yeah, it's a bit of a mess alright! I completely agree about the need for visual handles to set interpolation rather than trying to get TCB to work by throwing numbers at it :)

I just realized that this post should be in the forum category, not 'general discussion - but I can't see a way to move it.
If an admin sees this, please feel free to move it!
Thanks

BobSynfig

Postby BobSynfig » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Always check first! - Use last builds only: Stable 1.2.1 /
- - - Google Translate may help

Return to “Synfig related help”