It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:56 am 

The current version:
Attachment:
preview_window_ver063.png
preview_window_ver063.png [ 137.41 KiB | Viewed 1896 times ]

The proposal:

source file, in case you would like to play with it :)

------------------------
update, link the proposal to the initial image since it has been updated after discussed.

Last edited by jcome on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:59 am 

Does any one can help explain a bit "Half render" button, I never use it, and don't know what it is for.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

It is "Halt Render" (stop render) not "Half Render".
"Zoom" is effectively a zoom value but it is in relation to 1 and not a percentage as it should be. So word is fine, it is just that the value entry should be a percentage widget instead a normal real widget.

I have one proposal for the Preview window. I dislike to have the render fit into the window size when it is resized by the user. I would prefer or just adjust the window size to the canvas being rendered or don't adjust and leave the canvas render at full, half, double etc. size as per user request and the window shows just a fraction (or not) of the canvas and offers a scroll bar when needed.

-G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:15 pm 

Genete wrote:
It is "Halt Render" (stop render) not "Half Render".

:oops: how careless I was.
Quote:
"Zoom" is effectively a zoom value but it is in relation to 1 and not a percentage as it should be. So word is fine, it is just that the value entry should be a percentage widget instead a normal real widget.

:oops: I always considered that it is a value to control quality of preview.

Quote:
I have one proposal for the Preview window. I dislike to have the render fit into the window size when it is resized by the user. I would prefer or just adjust the window size to the canvas being rendered or don't adjust and leave the canvas render at full, half, double etc. size as per user request and the window shows just a fraction (or not) of the canvas and offers a scroll bar when needed.

Thanks for your reminder, I now remembered that your proposal is somewhere on the wiki pages.

I will update my mockup and (try to) design icons and look into the code soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Looks very nice!
Zoom is not zoom but quality. I've posted about this a long time ago here on the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

BTW, I miss something to scrub the time line once the preview is rendered. It is a very important feature. The original dialog uses a horizontal scroll bar to move through the frames.
-G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Genete - I think that's the little circle on the blue line next to the clock icon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 am 

update:
1) rename Zoom to Quality
2) add a real zoom widget
3) cleanup Render Start/Halt buttons
4) cleanup Play/Stop buttons and
5) need more design details for the Render start/halt, play/stop buttons

with scrollbars

Last edited by jcome on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:34 am 
Site Admin

pixelgeek wrote:
Genete - I think that's the little circle on the blue line next to the clock icon.

Yeah! I see it now! :D

Great improvements jcome!
-G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:15 am 

explain a bit about Start \Halt render and Play \Stop buttons. see the above image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:57 am 
Site Admin

jcome wrote:
explain a bit about Start \Halt render and Play \Stop buttons. see the above image

I don't think that Play would be disabled in any case. Let me explain it:
Play/Stop Button should be a two icon button type, exactly like the one at the canvas window. If when user press "Play" there is nothing to play (nothing rendered) nothing is shown. Pressing Stop button will stop playing. Regardless that, user can move the current time to any time that has been already rendered and Play button should play from there.
If a new frame is rendered and play is active then the new frame is shown if the time cursor was at the last rendered frame.
Start render will continue render form the last frame rendered.
Halt render would stop render routine.
Start/Halt render can be a two states button or similar to Play one (with two icons) but it should be only one button at all.
Erase render would remove all the rendered frames. It should be a single action button separated form the Start/Halt render. It is useful when user gets the Preview window opened and changes the animation for already rendered frames.

I think that you better play with the current dialog to understand how does it work. I think that the current behavior is fine.

-G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 am 

Quote:
Play/Stop Button should be a two icon button type, exactly like the one at the canvas window.

I am planned to change the play button at canvas window to toggle button with one icon as well. I will write down another post to explain why. There is something funny. If I remember correctly, you mentioned it in one post as well.

Quote:
If when user press "Play" there is nothing to play (nothing rendered) nothing is shown. Pressing Stop button will stop playing. Regardless that, user can move the current time to any time that has been already rendered and Play button should play from there.
If a new frame is rendered and play is active then the new frame is shown if the time cursor was at the last rendered frame.
Start render will continue render form the last frame rendered.

I should write those explanation more clearly :) at the previous commit. I added some more words, hope it works now.
What I mean "disabled" play button is at the situation there is no any frames rendered, a) the first time, user open the preview window; b) user clicked [Erase All] button. This function reminds a user that s/he should render some frames to preview (play).

Quote:
Halt render would stop render routine.
Start/Halt render can be a two states button or similar to Play one (with two icons) but it should be only one button at all.
Erase render would remove all the rendered frames. It should be a single action button separated form the Start/Halt render. It is useful when user gets the Preview window opened and changes the animation for already rendered frames.

I think that you better play with the current dialog to understand how does it work. I think that the current behavior is fine.

-G

Start/Halt render and Erase render can be grouped from my point of view, because one of them generates preview-able frames, the other deletes those frames.

In my first draft on my local repos, I used two buttons for Play/Stop, two buttons for Start/Halt Render solution, but it wastes horizontal space, since the Quality, FPS and Time settings now live in the same bar, we don't have more space available. And then I use the one shown in the mockup, I think use one toggle button solution is quite clear as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:19 am 

Hide the soundtrack widget etc...
The color of toggled buttons is just for better reading of the mockup, will not the same than the final implementation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

What happen when Erase is pressed and Render is pressed?
-G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 pm 

Erase is not a toggle button but a normal button, so this never happen. But when rendering, if the Erase button is clicked, the Render button will pop up automatically (Halt render), and those rendered frames will be moved at the same time, we will have an empty preview window.