Importing / copying objects

Discuss Synfig features here

Moderator: jcome

rylleman
Site Admin

Importing / copying objects

Postby rylleman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 pm

I've been doing some experimenting with importing and copying objects and found that there is no way in Synfig to make a clean copy, completely independent from it's source if this contains exported values.

In this experiment I've used 2 scenes: A - the source & B - the new scene into which I'm pasting/importing.

Copying from A to B. select layer in A, copy, paste in B.
* Exported values are linked to A from B, editing an exported value in B is actually done in A.
saving B after editing exported value in B. after reopening B (exported value) changes is lost.
saving A after editing values in B, closing B without saving then reopening B changes is there. Changes is exported values is saved only in exported values home canvas.
* No exported values is displayed under "Value Base Nodes" in B but are noted as (linked values) in params window.

Import A into B
*A is referenced in B, any changes made in B is actually taking place in A.

Intermediate copy-file
* save A as A2, copy from this to B.
* A and B is now independent from each others.
However, exported values is still saved in A2 so this always have to be saved after animation work in B.
There is no exported values under "Value Base Nodes" in B to be used for linking etc.

There is currently no way in Synfig (correct me if I'm wrong, it would be great if I was) to get a clean copy of an element that is completely independent if this contains exported values.

Also I think "Import" is named a bit off. What in many other programs is called import is making a copy of files or elements in files in current file. In Synfig import is making a link to another file.

In Blender there are two options for importing/copying called "Link" or "Append" -
"In the File Browser window header, use Append (button enabled by default) if you want to make a local independent copy of the object inside your file. Select Link if you want a dynamic link made to the source file; if anyone changes the object in the source file, your current file will be updated the next time you open it. "
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Data_System/Linked_Libraries

I think there needs to be a way in Synfig to make a clean copy of objects without having to worry about exported values and other files.
Exported values should in these copies be made local so their parent is the current canvas.

Advertisement

Genete
Site Admin

Re: Importing / copying objects

Postby Genete » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:00 am

Exported values should in these copies be made local so their parent is the current canvas.

Any suggestion to fix duplicated value nodes? (i.e. B.sif:value is defined and A.sif:value too)
-G
Synfig needs your help!
Developers, packagers, bug testers, translators, artists, web developers, wiki writers... you can contribute! :D

rylleman
Site Admin

Postby rylleman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 am

It's could perhaps be solved in a few different ways:
1. Do a comparison of exported values existing in scene and exported values in imported material. If duplicates are found rename imported values with a appendix.
2. If duplication check should be avoided always apply an appendix on imported exported values.
3. Make imported values subordinated by the current canvas values and have values linked to imported values be linked to canvas values instead. Might lead to some very strange results, even serious breakage (?).
4. Refuse to append if duplicated values are found, link instead.

For me 1. or 2. is preferred. Perhaps even 4. 3. seems like a bad choice.

KonstantinDmitriev
Site Admin

Postby KonstantinDmitriev » Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 am

I understand the problem. But "Import" is very good word to handle placing external data.
I would prefer to have two menu items:
* Import (Link)
* Import (Append)

rylleman
Site Admin

Postby rylleman » Wed May 23, 2012 5:11 am

Yes, two ways of importing would be very, very useful.

opsaaaaa

Postby opsaaaaa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:16 pm

is there a way to unlink them ?
some way of doing it in a text editor ?
or using the test editor to copy them ?

i really like synfig but i cant remake a character anytime i need to reuse them in a different project
and i would find it supper awesome if i could do things like make a basic bone structure and reuse it for new characters

i have some experience programming, html, java script, css, ruby.
i have also edited svg's manually before.

caryoscelus

Postby caryoscelus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:17 pm

opsaaaaa wrote:is there a way to unlink them ?

I don't think so.

opsaaaaa wrote:some way of doing it in a text editor ?
or using the test editor to copy them ?

You can copy layers in text editor from one file to another. If you use "exported" values, you'll have to take care of them as well). Bones should be copied as well (they are in different section than layers).

darkspace65

Postby darkspace65 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm

opsaaaaa wrote:i really like synfig but i cant remake a character anytime i need to reuse them in a different project
and i would find it supper awesome if i could do things like make a basic bone structure and reuse it for new characters

Amen to that! I have been waiting for that feature since I started to use Synfig. About more or less 5 years now... :(

Return to “Feature discussions”