Synfig Project Forum

Forums for Synfig Project
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New host services
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

berteh wrote:
a set of icons. feel free to comment. They are meant for big sizes (~150x150) otherwise the logo on the box is too small.[/attachment]

They look cool!
I wanted to ask to put logos _near_ the packages, but you already catched my idea! Maybe make synfig logo a little bigger in the second version? And I suggest to remove blue square near the penguin. That's all my thoughts. Good work!

(BTW, I have enabled uploading of svg on the forum)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Cool icons berteh!
I like them much!
Thanks!
-G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Great icons!
I would have to disagree with Zelgadis about the blue square. It is an icon for an executable, which suggests that the download is not a package. However, I don't know if it's universally recognizable, or used only by Ubuntu.

When switching hosts, I think we scrapped the doxygen pages and the review board. I would like to eventually see the doxygen pages restored because they can be useful in development.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

nikitakit wrote:
I would have to disagree with Zelgadis about the blue square. It is an icon for an executable, which suggests that the download is not a package.

Then leave only one icon. (But I still like Tux icon better ^___^ )

nikitakit wrote:
When switching hosts, I think we scrapped the doxygen pages and the review board. I would like to eventually see the doxygen pages restored because they can be useful in development.

Doxygen pages are here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/api/index.html
Reviewboard is lost, because we can't afford hosting that monster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 am 

Thanks for all the comments. here's an updated version of the 2 sets of icons. (with a lonely penguin in both sets and increased synfig logo size in the "floating" version.)

enjoy.
B.

Attachments:
packages_icons_v2.png
packages_icons_v2.png [ 47.77 KiB | Viewed 2612 times ]
File comment: Creative Commons (by sa nc), reuses creative commons images for existing OS distributions.
packages_icons_v2.svg [1.8 MiB]
Downloaded 74 times

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 am 

and a new updated version where the big distributions logos (on the left set) have shadows for increased contrast with the package (specially needed for ubuntu and mac logos.

sorry for the spam :)
Berteh.

Attachments:
packages_icons_v3.png
packages_icons_v3.png [ 85.39 KiB | Viewed 2571 times ]
File comment: rename svgz.txt to svgz

This file reuses Creative Commons logo of existing Distributions & Tango uninstall icon.

Fedora icon: Stephen Brandt (from http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/tango-artists/2006-December/000788.html)

RedHat icon: nicubuntu (from http://www.openclipart.org/detail/14848)

Mandriva icon: Eastmain (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mandriva-Logo.svg)

Tux icon: Linuxerist (from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tux-linux_logo.svg)

Other logos (packages, Mac, Ubuntu, Windows, Source, Debian) from Open Icon Library (http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/)

packages_icons_v3.svgz.txt [401.51 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Great work, berteh! I'm putting them on the website...

EDIT: Download pages updated: http://synfig.org/en/current-release
^___^

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Another testing snapshot for PDF manual: http://www.mediafire.com/?5240wymkkjz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm 

Zelgadis wrote:
Another testing snapshot for PDF manual: http://www.mediafire.com/?5240wymkkjz

As always one of my most appreciated feature in the recent website developments, thanks.

a few suggestions, just keep the ones you like and drop the others :)

- title page: add a synfig logo on title page
- table of contents: reduce drastically size of police, optionally get it in 2 columns, and make it clickable ([hyperlink] tag, if I remember correctly)

content:
- reduce line width to less than 70 chars. recommended width is 'officially' ~66 for the eye gets lost if text is too wide. a classical way to do it is reduce font size and layout in 2 columns.
- reduce font size anyway.
- make page margins homogeneous (small at p.17, big at p.153)
- make size of pictures more homogeneous, consider on pages:
* too big (seems to be the default with current export): 15-17,20-27, 29-33, 44-58, 60, 63-68, 80-83, 90-100, 108-111, 113-124, 127-133, 136, 138-139, 141, 146-152, 156, 159-166, 169, 190
* too small: 11, 34, 62, 126, 168
* size ok: the icons, 142-145
- provide proper legend/titles for images (in very small size, sticking to each picture)... maybe a general guideline for documentation, even in the wiki?
- reduce size of code blocks (eg: p.35), they are generally meant for copy-paste... so small size is ok... light greyish background would look nice (eg p.182)
- make internal link (on wiki words) work in pdf, or drop them completely
- rotate render options table... or make these pages landscape: 153-155
- fix p176
- make hotkeys visual guide link work (p.198)
- layout keyboard shortcuts on (only) 2 consecutive pages, for an easy printing. (p.196-198)
- drop "of 200" from page numbering, it's no interesting info.

hope this helps... and whether you find time & means to make some of these work thanks in advance!
Berteh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi people!
This morning Zelgadis and I have been talking in google chat about something that is related to this thread. We both want to show you the whole conversation:
("Yo" is me - Genete)
Quote:
07:16 Yo: Morning!
can you access to synfig.org?
Zelgadis: Hi!
I can't
07:17 It's gone down 10 min ago
BTW
Will you rename Normal Tool to Transform Tool?
07:18 Yo: I read it on chat, I think that rename is possible but I'll ask to Nikitakit. He did once and for some reason he come back to "normal"
what could happen to it? is morevna down too?
Zelgadis: yes
07:19 Yo: oh, seems that tuxfamily is having troubles :(
Zelgadis: Good time to think about backup? ~_^
07:22 Yo: Right
08:08 Zelgadis: synfig.org is back
08:25 Yo: still there?
08:26 Zelgadis: yep ^___^
Yo: I can do a rsync to my pc of the tuxfamily content, is http://download.tuxfamily.org/synfig the right path?
08:27 Zelgadis: Mmmm... I suggest not waste a time for temporal solution and configure BackupPC
Yo: backup pc is a feature of tuxfamily?
08:28 Zelgadis: no it's a software that doing regular backups
I run it on my pc to backup morevnaproject.org
08:29 I can configure it for synfig.org here too. But I have limited bandwidth. I can set up it for you too.
08:30 Yo: cool. I'm not in my home now. I'll ping you when I have time <sigh> and will configure it on my pc
btw, cron facilities on tuxfamily!!!!!!!
08:31 we can setup api and such things!
Zelgadis: they do cron?
08:32 *do have
Yo: yeaaaah!
It seems to be a new feature!!!
08:35 Zelgadis: where?
08:36 where did you saw it?
O_O
08:37 Yo: go to tuxfamily panel, enter with your username, enter to synfig project and it is listed together with the other facilities, website, dowload, git, etc.
08:38 btw there is an advice about quota overload. It is time to ask for more resources :)
08:40 Zelgadis: My suggestion is to cleanup joomla dirs first
08:41 cool! They really run cron!
08:42 Yo: now let's open our hearts... do you still against on maintain jommla site?
I remember that you mentioned long time ago that it is a monster and that wikimedia is enough
08:43 Zelgadis: I'm not against maintaining joomla.If we will decide to kepp jomla I will still willing to maintain it to help synfig project.
I'm against joomla in particular.
08:44 And I have 3 reasons.
08:45 1) No revision control for articles. Even drupal and wordpress have this feature nowdays.
08:47 2) Images and uploaded files. It's very-very hard to make joomla store its upload on download.tuxfamily.org. It was hard to tweak phpbb for this, but for joomla it's much harder. Thus we will end up wasting webarea space or storing images in the wiki.
08:49 3) It's very hard to track changes. Oh, sorry, it's not hard. It's impossible. ^___^ I've changed links on download pages but no one have noticed that. Why? Not just because everyone busy, but because there's no way to look latest edits.
I do remember that it was me who insisted to use joomla. Now I'm confessing - it was step in the wrong direction.
08:50 ^_^''
Yo: ok, good heart opening ;)
is there a not huge complex alternative/solution?
any suggestion?
08:51 (remember, who nothnig decides doesn't fail)
I'll back you on any new step
08:52 Zelgadis: My suggestion is to store cms content in the wiki. ^__^
Under CCMS Namespace
*CMS
08:53 Yo: and what would it give us in long term? a wiki with a good skin?
Zelgadis: 1) A wiki with a good skin
08:54 2) easier to track changes and store files
3) easier to maintain using templates
08:55 I.e., in joomla if I want to change the way how files are displayed on this page http://synfig.org/en/current-release
...then I must edit HTML for each file entry.
With mediawiki i can get the same look, but using templates
08:56 Also I think that transparency is something that must have any open source project.
Yo: I wonder if it is just a lack of joomla knowledge form our side
yes, I vote for transparency
:(
08:57 that all movements scapes from my understanding abilities
Zelgadis: No it's not a lack of knowledge. ^___^ I'm intensively digging joomla for 2 months. And my impression is getting worse.
08:58 Every automation task in joomla leads to installing or writing a new module. That's creepy.
08:59 Yo: yes, it is a resources sucker
09:00 Zelgadis: Templates are resource suckers too, but they are much easier to use and write - you don't need to upload them and they don't break main engine if you wrote somrething wrong.
09:01 And the worst thing: there's no OpenSource spirit around Joomla. They claiming to be OpenSource, and so they are. But basic joomla comes with limited functionality. And there's a bunch of people around who try to sell you their modules. Some of them hardly have understanding of opensource. Personally I don't like it.
09:02 Joomla not allows to upload images during post editing. You should upload all images first and then go edit article. That's uncomfortable.
Yo: yes, I've noticed
09:03 Zelgadis: In Mediawiki it's better. You can insert links during editing and upload after.
Yo: can synfig.org point to wiki without much troubles on missing links?
09:04 Zelgadis: it can
Yo: what I disliked from wiki is that you have to collect manually the news and the galleries and challenges and so
but if the templates and DLP macros can help on that...
09:05 Zelgadis: Yes. I can do that with DPL! ^___^
Yo: also old front page was a disaster, nobody liked it and tried to make its own forks in the other languages
09:06 Zelgadis: I can make a frontpage at least equal to current one.
09:07 read: or even better
Yo: hehe
Zelgadis: What else you don't like about ol mediawiki setup?
Yo: basically it was:
09:08 1) side bar navigation is static you usually don't know if you're in a documentation page or a other related stuff page
2) difficult to collect articles with similar content (news, challenges, releases)
09:09 3) difficult to include eyecandy engines (image gallery, image viewer, etc.)
that's basically
09:10 Zelgadis: 2) can be solved with DPL
09:11 Don't know about 1 yet, but it can be improved in some way
09:12 3) can be partially solved or even fully if I'll find extensions or write them by myself.
OK, I have to go now
Yo: ok, thanks for your time
09:13 Zelgadis: Maybe you post this conversation log to the forum into "Web infrastructure" thread?
Yo: think that I'll back on you and will help as much I can
yes, I'll do
Zelgadis: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1011
(to make my confession public ^___^)
Yo: he he
Zelgadis: ^____^
09:14 Yo: enjoy
Zelgadis: Take care on the code - that will be the best help. ^___^
Yo: I'm doing my best
Zelgadis: I'll will finish the miracle I promised you back in September 2009. ^___^
09:15 But now I'll focus on documentation. ^___^
09:17 Yo: ^____^
cya!

We would be very interested on listen your opinion about if it is worth to continue with Joomla website or move to a wikimedia site with its templates, DLP macros and extensions.
Also I want to publicly admit the amount of errros that we are commiting lately, but sincerely, we are doing our best ^_^''. Keep alive a project like synfig is not a one or two man task. We are open to any suggestion and any help.
Meanwhile, as I said, I'll focus on the release.
Cheers
-G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Genete! ^__^

@berteh:
Thank you for the notes. The manual definitely is not in "ready for read" state yet. There's a lot of work on the content to do. But I'm happy that pdf export is working. If you are interested, discussions about manual re-writing is here - http://www.synfig.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=25 .

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:07 pm 

hmmm, sorry, have a different view on this.

I think people expect a website of a project like Synfig to look kind of professional.
I cannot imagine to have a wiki website currently, might be that I don't know what is possible, but the typical wiki lokk&feel would be much worse compared to what we have currently.
E.g.: and comment, edit, login tabs would be confusing.

The website (as it is) worked fine for me so far.

... and it is much faster than the wiki. As it seems like both are on the same server I guess that Joomla is just faster in delivering pages than mediawiki, at least with limited resources.

I do Joomla quite a while now for several projects and organizations, it is correct that a lot of people around joomla think that it is a great idea to earn money, but you can do a lot without those... What I like is that I can define times when things should appear and disappear on the website.

Don't misunderstand me: if we have good reasons not to use Joomla, fine, but thenwe should use another CMS like drupal, ... (please not Typo3, tried this one and got totally lost, kills a programmers mind :( ), but not wikimedia.

My view... but, hey, you are around much longer, so up to you :-)

Synfig 0.63.05 - Ubuntu 12.4/64/german - Lenovo R61

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 am 
Site Admin

Example of mediawiki-based website: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Main_Page

The main points against Joomla are:
* File storage scheme is hard to adapt for our hosting
* Website changes are not transparent, which is bad I think. Considering the limited human resources we have to attract more people from the community for maintaining of the website.
* No revision control for pages

It's still early to decide now, but I think that Mediawiki is good choice. Anyway, the joomla is not a way to go. Talking about cms solutions, http://www.concrete5.org/ looks interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 pm 

Honestly, I do not see to have a big community working on the website as such.
It might be interesting to have some helping hands for translations. But the major messages about the project shouldn't be left to frequent community changes, but should be well defined and agreed.

Also: Still I do not see how to make time scheduled changes to mediawiki pages. E.g. predefined content for special announcements actions, ... appearing at the right time, but entered into the CMS ahead of time. That is a major feature for a CMS and very helpful for projects with limited ressources.

Synfig 0.63.05 - Ubuntu 12.4/64/german - Lenovo R61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Admin

ohoservices wrote:
Also: Still I do not see how to make time scheduled changes to mediawiki pages. E.g. predefined content for special announcements actions, ... appearing at the right time, but entered into the CMS ahead of time. That is a major feature for a CMS and very helpful for projects with limited ressources.

Agree, that's the feature mediawiki can't provide.

EDIT: But it's possible to store drafts and publish them manually.